7/08/2014

Boring and sleepy

We are going to Canberra on Friday via train and bus and staying there until Tuesday morning. I considered driving but I would rather use the travel time to do readings ("do readings" sounds weird but it doesn't sound as bad as "read readings") on the for my intensive subject starting July 21. I only just realised this is the first holiday I've taken since April 2012, not counting Golden Plains in 2013, so the idea of going anywhere is kind of scary (after I booked the V/Line tickets I had one of those "good lord what have I done..." moments). At the very least it will be good blog fodder.

Just before I started typing this I saw flashing lights through the venetian blinds so I went out onto the balcony to find 3 firemen pouring water on the mulch of a fig tree on the nature strip. One of them approached me and thanked me for calling them (I didn't, though) and explained that somebody had flicked a cigarette which had landed on the mulch and caused it to smoulder and eventually set alight. There was a police car too which left soon after. It was very weird and I am pretty sure the guy next door is at fault, because there's a 5m radius of discarded and stubbed-out cigarettes around his balcony. Not that I'm accusing him, of course. I just feel bad for the poor tree and surrounding grass. And I guess I'm also surprised something could catch alight in the middle of winter.



Old flour mill in Albion
Frozen cake at Sunshine Woolworths. Someone also left some cream in the freezer and it became a solid block

No comments:

Post a Comment