9/23/2014

Can't stop visiting quarries

On Thursday I met with a local resident to interview them. We ended up going on a walk around the quarry and he pointed out weird little things (4WD tracks, car embedded in a riverbank, NYE party spot set-up by teens) and it was brilliantly informative. I don't know if that walk counts as an observation of the site but if it does, I have notes from which to write up an actual 'report' (key events were seeing the crossbow hunters and more people 4WDing, as well as cars acting as 'lookouts' for those driving in the quarry area).

Today's visit:

6:00 pm: There is a blue car parked at the dead-end. A couple are standing near the quarry together. They look quite young (almost too young to be driving) but someone could easily assume the same thing about me so I won't judge.

6:14 pm: They're still there, standing and hugging - they seem awkward but nothing too weird. They haven't wandered far beyond the mangled fence so I get the feeling they're a bit scared or reluctant to explore the site further. I don't think they're aware of how visible they are from RVE.

6:20 pm: A cyclist on a mountain bike emerges from the filled quarry, and rides out and down the path adjacent to the Maribyrnong River. I can definitely see the appeal in this activity, the landscape is right for it.

6:32 pm: The couple get back in their car and leave.

6:45 pm: A strange car appears - they've dimmed their headlights while descending down the hill before disappearing into RVE. They reappear for a minute and I can see the silhouettes of four (or potentially more) people crammed into the back seat of this dark blue sedan. They slow to a stop near my car and slowly do a three point turn before driving away again.

7:00 pm: I leave. Nothing else has happened. While driving uphill from the dead-end on my way out of RVE, I notice a red sedan (late 90s model, very blocky) with super-tinted windows parked in the driveway of an undeveloped block of land. The passenger side window has been wound down slightly but I can't see the occupants. My 25 year old car struggles uphill right past the red car and almost on cue, I see the brake lights come on before it reverses out and follows me through RVE. 

I got out of RVE without them following me but they sped up to follow me as I turned right into Surrey St. They turned into a side street soon after. Could be a coincidence? I don't know.

At the very least, my observations so far have given me a nice sample of the various things that go on at the quarry, from 4WDs to dirt bikes to bored teens and cyclists. I wonder if it would've been any different had I changed my methodology slightly (i.e. observing on foot rather than from a vehicle [probably unsafe though]) but I'm happy with the results thus far. I'm going to visit once more in the afternoon on Thursday and then stop by on Saturday and Monday morning, and maybe Sunday afternoon if I have the time. I'm actually kind of sad this is coming to an end because visiting the quarry so regularly has become a pretty major part of my routine. 

Spot the stolen car

No comments:

Post a Comment