9/28/2014

Potentially my second last quarry visit

I was going to visit the quarry this morning but I had terrible allergies last night and took antihistamines which made me sleep for a long time. Anyway excuses don't matter because I still saw interesting things today:

3:00 pm: So windy! Nobody is here and I think that's why. It was windy when I left home but it's really bad here. There is a burgundy-coloured sedan parked just near the roundabout, about half-way up the hill, in the driveway of an empty block. He is smoking and occasionally talking on the phone.

3:20 pm: Nothing has happened. Burgundy car guy is still on the phone.

3:28 pm: A silver ute appears - they've parked on the naturestrip closest to the quarry, next to the roundabout.

3:30 pm: The driver of the silver ute gets out of the car and walks around for a little bit. He's just standing at the fence and looking at the lake.

3:31 pm: Silver ute man somewhat tentatively walks around the Mangled Fence.

3:32 pm: He walks back to his car, smoking a cigarette, and fetches something from inside - I think it's a can of drink? He returns to a small rocky outcrop just meters beyond the mangled fence and sits down with his cigarette and drink, seemingly admiring the view.

3:34 pm: A green sedan with a family inside arrive and park next to the silver ute. A different silver car, this time a 4WD (and also containing a family), follows them but does a complete loop at the roundabout and drives back uphill. A man gets out of the green sedan - I think he's on the phone? He's walking around while his family wait.

3:36 pm: The phone man from the green sedan gets back in the car and drives away.

3:40 pm: Silver ute man is still there.

3:47 pm: A 4WD exits the scrub by the river - they drive up to the mangled fence and the steepness of this exit gives them some trouble. The Silver Ute Man is somewhat perturbed by this. The 4WD is covered in stickers (if you must know, vaguely aggressive patriotic statements) and has a "heritage" numberplate, which is really weird to me, because I wouldn't be inclined to call a 4WD a heritage car but anyway... it was covered in mud and full of young males who where shouting and whatnot. They drove uphill.

3:48 pm: Once the 4WD is out of the quarry area, the burgundy sedan waits for them to drive uphill. As soon as they reach the top, it follows closely, making me wonder whether the occupants of these vehicles know each other. Was the burgundy sedan keeping watch for those who could threaten their afternoon activity (such as the real estate agent sitting in his car at the entrance of the estate, waiting to make a sale)?

3:53 pm: All quiet again, Silver Ute Man is still in his spot drinking and smoking. It is incredibly dusty, so I can't imagine any extended dwelling here would be pleasant.

3:57 pm: Two dirt bike riders appear from the same place the 4WD came from. They pause just beyond the trees before riding uphill towards the railway bridge.

3:58 pm: I can't see the trail bike people anymore.

4:00 pm: (In my notes I described the silver ute driver as) "cigarette drink can man". He is still there. I wonder how long he stayed for.




No comments:

Post a Comment