9/16/2014

Quarry Watch 12/09 and 16/09

Friday:
6:00 pm: Nothing - just crows and cockatoos. Another soccer match is on.

6:23 pm: I can hear a strange alarm sound, like a high-pitched police siren, but I doubt it's from the quarry. I can't tell where it's from because it echoes throughout the valley. It stopped after 30 seconds.

6:28 pm: The alarm has started again, and stopped after 30 seconds. Maybe from a nearby factory?

6:29 pm: The alarm is back, and again, it lasted for 30 seconds. How annoying (for me, for the residents, for the dogs in the area who don't seem to enjoy it).

6:31 pm: Can this alarm stop? Seems to have a pattern to it. A car just drove past me really slowly and the people in it stared at me and then turned right to go downhill and through the dead-end/roundabout, still driving slowly.

6:36 pm: This is the most uneventful visit yet, which I didn't expect because it's a Friday night and the weather is great.

6:43 pm: A car drives along Halong Drive and I get excited thinking maybe they're visiting the quarry but it's probably just someone returning home.

6:46 pm: Another car does the same as the above but in the opposite direction.

6:50 pm: Nothing has happened for a few minutes now. I am still surprised at how dull this evening has been. Maybe I've come here too early in the evening? I would visit later but the warning from the security guard has put me off coming here too late.  

7:00 pm: Home time.

Today:

6:45 pm: I arrive and park my car in the usual spot. There is a single car parked at the dead-end street. No soccer tonight so it's quite dark.

6:58 pm: A silver 4WD ute drives past me and turns left up the hill, before doing a three-point turn and driving back downhill towards the roundabout/dead-end. They slowed down when going around the roundabout and drove away. I wonder if they're disturbed by the presence of the other car there.

7:01 pm: The occupant of the car mentioned at 6:45 pm exits their vehicle. They walk towards the barrier separating the street and the quarry and stand there. Something about their movements makes their presence seem a bit strange.

7:04 pm: Two different cars drive past the roundabout. As soon as they're out of view, the aforementioned individual gets back into their car and drives away. Are they irritated by the amount of vehicular traffic?

7:07 pm: A cyclist appears - at least, I think they're a cyclist. Their bike is making a strange noise (almost crunchy) and they're quite low to the ground. Is it one of those bizarre tiny motorbikes? A car is tailing them quite closely and the whole thing seems really weird.

7:13 pm: The mysterious bike, and the silver 4WD ute from before, are going in circles around the roundabout. Another car has appeared and is following them closely.

7:31 pm: Nothing.

7:36 pm: The bike person has appeared near my car! They just walked up the hill with their bike and rode back down again. It's dark so I can't see their bike very well but it's not a normal-looking bike.

7:45 pm: Nothing else happens for the night. I've heard this weird noise during the past few visits, kind of like a rock hitting rock (or potentially metal-on-metal) but I attributed it to the soccer ground. There's no soccer on tonight but the sound is still happening which makes me wonder what it actually is, as it's coming from the general direction of the big flooded quarry. It could be a gate at a nearby factory but why would it be that loud and repetitive? If it was a gate swinging shut from the wind I would understand but I've heard it on clear, still nights, so I don't know.

At this point, while driving down the hill, I see the aforementioned bike plus the silver ute and the other mystery car that followed them around for a while. It looks like a family have congregated to watch their child ride his bike around (a closer look at the bike reveals it's one of those low-rider stunt things with plastic wheels). I think they've been towing him with a rope because the silver 4WD ute has a really long length of rope attached to the back. A strange choice of activity for a dark Tuesday night but it looks pretty fun and they've chosen a good space for the activity - I'm glad there's an innocent explanation for this.


No comments:

Post a Comment