9/01/2014

Today at the quarry

I went to the southernmost quarry site today and walked around for a bit and it was quite strange. I didn't see anyone doing anything suss (or anyone at all) but a ute did slow down and stop next to me so I stopped walking and looked at them and they reversed back and forth for a little bit and then drove off, went around the corner and came back only to pull up in someone's driveway. 

Despite that, compared to RVE, this area seems a lot more tame. The fence around the quarry site is in very poor condition and has numerous holes cut into it, which leads me to think people want to get in (they don't look very new, though). I assume any visitors would generally explore on foot which might also explain how wonderfully green the place is - no stolen cars or rubbish to be seen. I wonder whether the steep gradient and overgrown weeds would be prohibitive to the dirt bikes which plague Solomon Heights and RVE/the flooded quarry. The proximity of homes to the quarry edge could also aid in discouraging antisocial activity but I'm yet to see this in practice (i.e. I'll go there at nighttime for some site observation soon). As a general summary, I think this quarry hole feels a lot more urban, and the distinction between private and public space is less blurred (despite all the informal entrances) compared to the RVE that slowly dissipates into bushland and basalt (also, this particular quarry has roads on 2 sides of it and houses on the other 2 - meaning, loads of passive surveillance which could discourage trespassers [during the day at least]). 

When I started my research, I figured I'd pay equal attention to all 3 quarry holes - I've since realised that one is partially filled (boring) and the aforementioned quarry hole is virtually inaccessible (unless one is feeling particularly adventurous), leaving the huge flooded quarry next to RVE the main point of interest. I'm mostly just writing this down now so I don't forget to discuss this at some point in my thesis (i.e. justifying the emphasis on this particular space). 

I nearly forgot, but when I got back to my car there were 12 crows surrounding it. Earlier today I also saw a crow in a nest full of baby crows, and 2 days ago I came across a group of 4 crows sitting on a nature strip watching me, and the day before that I saw 10 crows at uni hanging out together. I wonder if this is a response to the recent good weather i.e. they are suddenly incredibly sociable

Raining in Footscray today
Cool house on my way to the quarry
I dropped my phone a few weeks ago and ever since then, a strange little purple artefact has been showing up in my photos. This is one example

How good is this
The letterbox of a house I walked past with some bonus fixture
  

No comments:

Post a Comment