1/22/2016

Helping a cat

There was a lot of commotion coming from a family of myna birds in the street so I went out onto the balcony to have a look and saw a limping cat disappear behind my car. After about 10 minutes the myna family started up again so I went out again and caught this cat trying to jump onto the brick ledge where Egg used to sit. His limp was particularly pronounced but he kept walking so I met him on the corner for a closer look and this time the cat followed me back into the building where we hung out in the hallway for a while. His breathing was funny and he'd walk 2-3 meters before flopping down - poor thing had a twisted foot and a weird posture, kind of like when a cat arches its back in anger (or irritation, or any other general cat emotion). I was about to take him to Lort Smith when I realised there was a tag/number on its collar for the National Pet Register, so I gave them a call and they put me in touch with the owner who picked him up soon after.

Apparently the cat is called Winston and he loves to roam, and was born with hip dysplasia that gives him a slight limp but nothing this bad. He probably got into a fight and lost, hopefully with another cat and not a car. The owner told me Winston travels as far as the railway yards which is a really frightening notion and makes me glad we kept Egg as an indoor cat, except for the times she got out to sit underneath warm cars, which still worried me a lot and I don't condone this kind of behaviour at all.

Anyway I got to brush a cat and feed it butter so this has been a great Friday night so far and I hope Winston isn't too injured. Also I want a pet cat now



No comments:

Post a Comment